レイクランド大学の特待生入試

レイクランド大学の特待生入試

レイクランド大学のA.O.入試

レイクランド大学のA.O.入試

ジャパン・キャンパス 学校紹介ビデオ

ジャパン・キャンパス 学校紹介ビデオ

デジタルパンフレット

デジタルパンフレット

社会人向けオープンカレッジ

社会人向けオープンカレッジ

学生インタビュー

『1%』

  • 髙田 修平
  • Shuhei Takada
  • 17期生
  • Japan
  • 教養課程
  • 神奈川県日本大学藤沢高等学校出身
  • ※プロフィールはインタビュー時のものです。

 この言葉は一生忘れない。それは、レイクランドの説明会で聞いた言葉である。私は質問をされた。「世界中でどのくらいの人が大学まで行けて十分な教育を受けられていると思いますか?」私は息詰まった。なぜならそのようなことを考えたことが一度もなかったからだ。「約1%です。」私は答えを聞いて唖然とした。その時改めて、自分は裕福なのだと心底思った。残りの約99%の中に食べ物に苦しんでいる人、勉強をしたいのに十分な教育を受けられない人、病気や感染症に苦しんでいる人、生きたいのに生きられない人、世界中で様々な理由で苦しんでいる人たちがいることを改めて認識した瞬間でもあった。

 それからの私は自分には何が出来るのだろうと考える時間が増えた。そして私は1%の人たちは99%の中で苦しんでいる人たちになんらかの形で貢献しなければならないと強く思った。今すぐにでも苦しんでいる人たちの現地に向かい助けたいという衝動にかられたことも何度もあった。でも、私が今行ったところで役に立つことは何も出来ないだろう思う。なぜなら専門知識、ましてや現地の人達とのcommunicationもままならないからだ。それがとても悔しい。自分の無力さを痛感する。今、そんな私に必要なのは、まずは共通語の英語を身につけ、たくさんの人たちとcommunication出来るようにすること、自分自身を知りどんな形で貢献出来るか探すことである。

 レイクランド大学は、そんな私を全面的にサポートしてくれている。レイクランド大学は私にとってピッタリの大学だ。なぜなら、授業はすべて英語で行われ、また授業内での友達との会話もすべて英語だからだ。授業は少人数制なので、発言する機会、自分自身の考えを問われる機会がとても多く与えられている。そう、英語での会話は、慣れていようがいまいが日常茶飯事に行われているのだ。また、いろんな国籍の人がいて他文化に触れることが多い。なので、英語だけでなく、他の言語もその気になれば習得できる。

 レイクランド大学はグローバルな大学と言っていいだろう。これらのことが世界中の人と接する上で私の糧になると確信している。さらに、リベラルアーツという教育制度から、どんな形で貧しい国に貢献したらいいか探している私にとって、自分自身への模索期間を与えてくれる。己を知りて一。私は今レイクランド大学で自分探しをしている。1%の中にいる自分だから決して人生無駄にしたくはない。私の夢、1%でも多くの人たちを苦しみから救うこと。

 I heard something once that I will never forget. This was at a Lakeland College Japan recruitment session. I had been asked, “when considering the whole world’s population, what percent of people do you think are able to go to college?” I had never thought of this before, and became choked up. “Just 1%” was the answer they told me, and it was from that time that I realized how absolutely precious this opportunity was for me. Within the other 99% of our world’s population, there are those without enough to eat, those who want to study but don’t have the chance, those who are sick, and those who want live a certain way but can’t. Within this world there are so many people going through these heavy things, and for so many different reasons.

 When I heard this statement, I became aware of my opportunity in an instant, and then the time I spent wondering what it is I should be doing started to really increase. I strongly believe that we “1%” have the responsibility of doing this for the other 99%. There are many things I may be able to do or help, but at this specific moment I don’t think I am quite ready to stand up and do it. The reason being; having knowledge of something specific or the ability to communicate well with others is something I have not yet developed. It is hard to express this feeling of not being able to do enough. But for right now, the important thing for me to do is become able to use English, this universal language, so I am able to commute with many people. By doing this I can learn more about myself and begin my search as to what kind of contributions I can make.

 Lakeland College Japan is the perfect fit for me. The classes here and the conversations after class with my friends as well, are in English. Also the classes here are done in smaller number of students, so there are so many opportunities to voice our opinions, thoughts, and ideas. There are so many other international students too – giving chance to learn about other cultures and languages while we are here as well. So it isn’t just the English that is here for us to learn, it is all the unique aspects that is so satisfying.

It’s easy to say that Lakeland College Japan is a truly global community, and I believe that those things I will be able to provide will also help me become closer to others. At this Liberal Arts College, people like me who are searching for a way to contribute, are always supported. To know ourselves is the first step, so right now I am searching for myself at LCJ. I am part of that 1%, and don’t want to ever take it for granted. It is my dream that even we, as this small 1%, will fight and strive to help the others.

*レイクランド大学の学生紹介を多数掲載したパンフレットを無料でお送りしています。
  ご希望の方は以下からお気軽にお申込ください。